July 12, 2023 3 min read
Motherhood is a magical journey decorated with joyous, exhausting, overwhelming, and incredible moments. And toddlerhood is a phase filled with curiosity, exploration, and yes, a fair share of tantrums!
Creating routines and sticking to them helps a lot when it comes to managing a toddler.
The predictability means you are better prepared to plan for a typical day.
Whether you are staying in, spending a day out, or taking a vacation with your toddler, having a routine helps you make better decisions.
For your toddler, a routine helps them feel safe. They know what to expect and are less likely to throw tantrums. Routines also help toddlers form habits. This is exactly why it’s said that toddlers thrive on a routine!
However, all said and done, juggling your little one's routines and transitions is no easy feat.
But worry not! We're here to help you steer through your day smoothly with your dear toddler.
The Magic of Routines
Why do routines matter?
Routines offer a sense of predictability for your little one, making them feel safe and secure. A toddler who knows what to expect next is likely to feel more confident and less anxious.
But that's not all. Routines enhance your child's time management skills, build healthy habits, and support their emotional development.
Tips for Crafting Toddler-friendly Routines
Here are some tips for creating routines.
1. Consistency is key: A routine is a routine only if you are consistent. So once you have established a routine, try and stick to it. Be it meal times, nap times, or play times, consistency helps toddlers understand their day better.
2. Involve your toddler: Your toddler still is quite little to understand. However, you can still empower them by letting them participate in their own routines. It could be tiny tasks like putting toys away or brushing their teeth.
Ever seen your toddler’s meltdown while switching activities?
Transitions are those intervals that link one routine to another. For example, the moments between snack time and playtime, or the shift from a playful bath to bedtime.
Toddlers can be resistant to switching activities, especially if they are enjoying it. For instance, when they are engrossed in playing in the playground, going inside to clean up and take a nap might seem like a struggle!
Unexpected transitions can unsettle them, leading to emotional meltdowns. A smooth transition helps in reducing stress and paves the road to the next activity without any hurdles.
Here are a few tips to help you achieve better transitions.
1. Give a heads-up: Inform your toddler about the upcoming change in activity. Use phrases like "Once we finish this puzzle, it'll be lunchtime!" A little mental preparation can make a world of difference.
2 Make it fun!: Turn transitions into games or songs to make it more engaging. A “clean-up” song or a “brushing song” can sometimes work wonders. You can make up songs or stories to help them transition better.
Bringing together routines and transitions helps you and your toddler have a stress-free day. The result is a happy toddler and a relieved mum!
Here are a few tips for fostering routines and transitions.
1. Balance is essential: Balance high-energy routines with calmer ones. For example, lively playtime in the park can be followed by a quiet storytelling session. This rhythmic flow keeps the day balanced.
2. Signal the shift: Use visual and audio signals to indicate transitions. A colorful chart, a tinkling bell, or sing-song reminders work well to signal that it’s time for the next routine.
Your toddler is a bundle of energy and emotions!
The giggles, laughs, spontaneous kisses, and those little arms around you are incredible. However, toddlerhood is challenging, too! But with patience and planning, you can help your toddler enjoy the day's rhythm, reducing anxiety for both of you.
Every family is different and may have different routines and different ways of approaching a typical day. So, consider what works best for you and your family and create routines for your toddler accordingly.
You're doing an extraordinary job, and with these strategies in hand, you'll certainly do even better!
The goal isn't perfection but a harmonious day filled with love, understanding, and growth for you and your little one. So, let us all enjoy this phase!
Are you enjoying this post?
Feel free to share this with any mums. Join the mums community today and receive weekly motherhood tips and tricks directly to your inbox. Occasionally we will send you updates on new launches and exclusive events, and you will always be the first to know.
Shop Lovemère collection today.