Congratulations! Your baby has safely made it into this wonderful world. This special time is a warm welcome to the start of your journey through motherhood. You can finally welcome your baby into your home after a successful delivery, but have you ever wondered if there are preparations you may have overlooked before your baby's first adventure into this world? There is, and here are some of the ways to ease your baby into their first steps in your lovely home.
Preparing the Essentials
Knowing what to buy and what to prepare is very daunting and gets very expensive fast, so having a checklist similar to the one below would help you in a long way. Please take note that the things listed here can be modified to suit your specific need.
Listed below are the following essentials once your baby arrives:
- Baby Crib
- Avoid the following: crib bumpers and drop-side cribs; not safe anymore due to new safety standards
- Should be the following: space saving, stable, at least 51 3/4th inches long by 27 3/8th inches wide
- Baby carriage
- Baby clothes (a sample list of what you’ll need is below)
- Jumpsuits (in "onesie" form) for the day
- Nightdresses for the night
- Cardigans or jackets (for cold weather)
- At least three tops
- Cotton hats
- Sun hat (if going out with the baby)
- Hospital Bag
For the mother, here are some essentials to keep in mind:
- Breast pump
- Baby bottles (for storing breast milk)
- Nursing pillow
- Nursing bras (if buying before the baby is born, buy one cup size larger than your pregnant bra size)
- Breast pads (disposable or washable)
- Lotion for sore nipples
Other Needed Preparations
There are other preparations needed to make sure you're at ease when welcoming the baby. It's important to take note of these as early as possible to lessen the shock and stress of welcoming your baby into your home.
The following preparations would be:
- Maternity and paternity leave (to help monitor and raise baby during the first few weeks)
- Also applies if you have house help since they need to know the ins and outs of taking care of your baby
- Attending a “newborn class” (if this is the first baby)
- Teaches you the essentials like how to put on a diaper, how to bathe the baby, etc.
- Ask your hospital if they have scheduled classes for this and plan accordingly with your respective maternity leaves (or vacation leaves, if needed)
- If you have other children, let them know of a new baby on the way
- Having a new baby may shock the children, so easing them into it will help them to deal with a new member of the family
Any mother would want the best for their baby and welcome their baby to this world is a crucial step. With these in mind, you will now have a more clear understanding of the needed preparations and essentials to the first step of raising your baby. May you be guided accordingly and have a happy journey with motherhood.
Are you enjoying this post?
Feel free to share this with any mums. Join the mums community today and receive weekly motherhood tips and tricks directly to your inbox. Occasionally we will send you updates on new launches and exclusive events, and you will always be the first to know.
Shop Lovemère collection today.